How do I install a tarball in ROSA Desktop Fresh R5???

Ответить
zlatko
Operating system: ROSA Desktop Fresh R5

How do I install a tarball in ROSA Desktop Fresh R5???

Сообщение zlatko » 06 апр 2015, 18:35

Can someone please tell me how to install *.tar.xz file? I am preatty new to linux, and tarballs never made any sense to me... I appreciate your help ;)

Pulfer
Operating system: ROSA Desktop Fresh 2016.1 i586

Re: How do I install a tarball in ROSA Desktop Fresh R5???

Сообщение Pulfer » 06 апр 2015, 18:42

zlatko писал(а):Can someone please tell me how to install *.tar.xz file? I am preatty new to linux, and tarballs never made any sense to me... I appreciate your help ;)
Tarballs usually contain only source code. They are not supposed to be installed. You need to extract them and compile first.

I'd rather suggest to install programs from repositories via "Install and remove software". Or download binary packages from authors (*.rpm).
Intel Core i7-6700 / 8 Gb RAM / GeForce GTX 750 Ti / Rosa 2016.1 i586

zlatko

Сообщение zlatko » 06 апр 2015, 19:30

Thanks for the reply Pulfer,
The trouble is that I already downloaded a tar.xz file of WPS-office, which is not in the ROSA repositories... I tried to find a way to install it, but I just don´t know the procedure :| and trying to google it, I get only ubuntu support :( I don´t know if the procedure is same for Rosa as for Ubuntu...

Pulfer
Operating system: ROSA Desktop Fresh 2016.1 i586

Сообщение Pulfer » 06 апр 2015, 21:21

zlatko писал(а):Thanks for the reply Pulfer,
The trouble is that I already downloaded a tar.xz file of WPS-office, which is not in the ROSA repositories... I tried to find a way to install it, but I just don´t know the procedure :| and trying to google it, I get only ubuntu support :( I don´t know if the procedure is same for Rosa as for Ubuntu...
There's RPM package for WPS Office:

Код: Выделить всё

http://kdl.cc.ksosoft.com/wps-community/download/a16/wps-office-9.1.0.4945-1.a16p3.i686.rpm
I suggest to try to use it instead of the tarball. Download it and double-click.

But if you still want to use the tarball, just unpack it via right mouse click context menu. And then read the README.txt file from the extracted directory. It explains what to do next.

In short, you can install RPM but not tar.xz. It's like setup.exe VS portable app (.zip) in Windows.
Intel Core i7-6700 / 8 Gb RAM / GeForce GTX 750 Ti / Rosa 2016.1 i586

zlatko

UPDATE!!!

Сообщение zlatko » 06 апр 2015, 21:26

I found the *.rpm file and installed WPS-office, works like a charm on Rosa Desktop Fresh R5.
Again, thank you for your help Pulfer :)

Ответить

Вернуться в «Desktop»