ROSA Marathon LXDE i586 boots to black screen

Ответить
Laskaris
Operating system: Zorin OS, Windows XP

ROSA Marathon LXDE i586 boots to black screen

Сообщение Laskaris » 18 окт 2012, 16:38

Hello,

I just installed ROSA on my hard drive. Unetbootin USB Live session was possible just in safe mode (normal live session ended with black screen). After installation completed I started ROSA for the first time and - get black screen. Tried to start in safe mode, with safe settings, without ACPI but result is always the same - completely black screen.
Laptop is K50AF with AMD-ATI Mobility Radeon 5145. Is there solution to this problem? Should may be kernel be started with some special parameters for my graphic card - "nomodeset" or something similar? Please pardon my ignorance, I am pretty new to Mandriva-ROSA distros.

For your help many thanks in advance,

L.

P.S. I understand Russian (allthough I am not much of a speaker) and searched Russian part of this forum but with no success. Link to Russian pages would be OK, too.

akdengi

Re: ROSA Marathon LXDE i586 boots to black screen

Сообщение akdengi » 21 окт 2012, 00:24

You need 'nomodeset' option to grub start string.

After properly boot enable non-free repo and instal propietary drivers.

Laskaris

Сообщение Laskaris » 21 окт 2012, 12:55

Hello,
thank you for your help!
xdrver=vesa nomodeset
did the trick.
Similar problem is described here: http://bugs.rosalinux.ru/show_bug.cgi?id=799
However, proprietary driver is terribly slow for me on 3.0.38 kernel. Is there solution to this?
Some additional tweaking? New kernel perhaps?
I installed opensource driver and it seems OK but I would really like to use proprietary (fglrx) driver for it's better performance and power management.

akdengi

Сообщение akdengi » 21 окт 2012, 15:10

Try add fresh repo

urpmi.addmedia fresh http://abf.rosalinux.ru/downloads/fresh ... n/release/

(for x86_64 replace part i586)

and install new kernel 3.4.x

Laskaris

Сообщение Laskaris » 21 окт 2012, 22:32

Hello,

thanks for suggestion!
Tried with "nrj" and "generic" kernels 3.X, (X= 0..4) but with no success. Found them in "fresh" repo and in kernel farm http://forum.rosalab.ru/en/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1223 )My guess is that fglrx is not loaded as it should for there is some kind of radeon-firmware compatibility problem with catalyst 12.4 and my graphic card Mobility Radeon 5145. I should not be able to use catalyst 12.4 with kernel 3.4.10 at all? Notebook boots, x starts but this tearing and lagging is terrible. 3.3.6 at least should work with fglrx with no problems but.. it simply does not. I am now back to opensource driver and nrj kernel 3.4.10. Yes, temperature is somewhat higher than with catalysts, yes, normal power profile is broken in ATI opensource driver, setting it to low though makes desktop tearing and freezing (on my notebook) it's a known bug..Oh well, I will not give up for sure! :)

I really like ROSA Marathon 2012 LXDE. Somewhat slower than Lubuntu or Zorin Lite but packed with more functionalities. Similar to it is PClinuxOS LXDE but i find ROSA overall better.

with best regards,

L.

akdengi

Сообщение akdengi » 22 окт 2012, 01:40

I'm will try release ROSA 2012 DESKTOP LXDE with KDE4 version on same time and for next one-two week you will download and test LXDE beta version (after i'm close work on Beta release 2012 Desktop KDE4).

Laskaris

Сообщение Laskaris » 22 окт 2012, 09:43

Thank you. Please keep me informed.

Laskaris

Сообщение Laskaris » 26 окт 2012, 12:17

Ehm.. tried to install drivers manually and get dkms error - exactly the same endeffect as with fglrx driver in official repository. I thought this bug with fglrx drivers was already solved long ago? Is there solution to fglrx dkms error on Mandriva-Rosa?

Not directly related to problem but caused me much irritation and anger:

If I attach "kernel_drivers" repository http://abf.rosalinux.ru/downloads/kerne ... n/release/
XFDrake tries to install Catalyst 8.980 which is false because this driver is really meant for 5xxx series but not for HD 5145, 545v etc because they are derived from HD 4XXX counterparts. Installation-reboot ends with x-error. Luckiliy XFdrake can install opensource driver again. Someone out there should read what ATI/AMD writes in "driver - hardware support" section.

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Hardware

It is bizarre however that ATI offered 12.6 Legacy Catalyst for older cards but up to version 4XXX - surprise, surprise - HD 5145, 5165, 545v, 565v etc are not supported despite the fact they are legacy hardware now and practically identical to HD4xxx, just with prefix 5xx) :-x Well done indeed. Thank you AMD, you rock. :evil:
Luckily, opensource ATI driver is somewhat better with newer kernels - tried kernel 3.4.10 or 3.5.1. It seems power profile problem is not drastic as before.

edit: problem solved by reinstalling dkms and kernel devel(s).. Thread can be marked as SOLVED. Thank you for your help and attention.

Ответить

Вернуться в «Marathon (ROSA LTS)»