Another experimental kernel 4.11 for ROSA R9 - based on kernel sources from Ubuntu

Ответить
euspectre
Operating system: Linux в разных вариантах

Another experimental kernel 4.11 for ROSA R9 - based on kernel sources from Ubuntu

Сообщение euspectre » 13 июн 2017, 12:39

In addition to the kernel builds for ROSA R9, based on the stable kernels 4.11.x from kernel.org, I have built a different variant of the kernel using the sources from Ubuntu as well as making some ROSA-specific changes.

This variant is experimental, just to see if it is better/worse than other ROSA kernels, and in which conditions.

If you'd like to give it a try, it can be installed as follows:
x86_64:

Код: Выделить всё

urpmi.addmedia kernel-desktop-ubuntu http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/kernels_stable_personal/repository/rosa2016.1/x86_64/kernel_desktop_4_11/release/
urpmi kernel-desktop-4.11-latest
i586:

urpmi.addmedia kernel-desktop-ubuntu http://abf-downloads.rosalinux.ru/kernels_stable_personal/repository/rosa2016.1/i586/kernel_desktop_4_11/release/
urpmi kernel-desktop-4.11-latest
Same as for other kernels 4.11 from kernels_stable_personal/<...>/kernel_4_11, at least the following external drivers do not work with this kernel at the moment:
  • broadcom-wl
  • r8101
  • r8168
  • rtl8723bs
  • rtl8812au
So, if you rely on some of these drivers, it might be better to wait until we fix these for the kernel 4.11.

As for NVidia graphics drivers, nvidia375 seems to work OK on my machine (did not check it on the machines with hybrid graphics though). nvidia340 does not work, nvidia304 - haven't checked that one yet.

Q.: So, this is just the kernel from Ubuntu rebuilt for ROSA R9, right?

A.: Not quite. The base kernel sources are from Ubuntu, yes, but the following changes have also been made:
* Similar to the stock kernels of ROSA R9, BFQ IO scheduler has been added and enabled by default.
* Full preemption is used (CONFIG_PREEMPT in ROSA kernels VS CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY in the generic kernels from Ubuntu).
* SELinux support is built in instead of AppArmor (SELinux is off by default, its kernel part can be turned on at boot time).
* Module signing has been disabled.
* A few cosmetic changes have also been made.

Besides all that, I have disabled building of ZFS for now. If ZFS is really needed, it may be dealt with later.

If you would like to give this kernel variant a try, you are welcome. Of course, if you do, let us know how it works on your machines. Such feedback is *really* valuable, even when it seems that my colleagues and myself do not respond to it fast. As usual, please upload the info about the system using hw-probe (https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?view=howto).

UPD.: Before installing such kernels, it is recommended to switch to generic (non-hostonly) initrd. It is enough to do that once. Create /etc/dracut.conf.d/90-generic-initrd.conf with the following contents:

hostonly="no"
That is it.
Looks like the default ("host-only") initrds may be created buggy and the system will not find the disks as a result. Switching to generic initrds should help.

Ответить

Вернуться в «Desktop»