Migrating from ROSA Desktop Fresh R3 to R4

Ответить
ДроноваЮ
Operating system: Ubuntu/ROSA

Migrating from ROSA Desktop Fresh R3 to R4

Сообщение ДроноваЮ » 08 окт 2014, 21:52

Hello,
Below is the old instruction. From now on please consider the CLEAN INSTALL FROM ISOs ONLY.
Do not attempt to upgrade or do it at your own risk.

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Updating from Desktop Fresh R3 to Desktop Fresh R4 is possible but can take significant time (from several hours to a day). When possible, we recommend to install Desktop Fresh R4 from installation media instead of R3 with reuse of /home and other folders located on separate partitions.
ROSA Desktop Fresh R4 uses repositories different from the ones of Fresh R1/R2/R3, so your R3 system will not be updated automatically to R4 by means of usual updates. In order to perform such distribution upgrade, one should do the steps described below.

In order to go through the update process smoothly please uninstall fglrx or nvidia* proprietary packages BEFORE triggering the update process.
To check if such packages are present in your system do

Код: Выделить всё

$ rpm -qa | grep fglrx
$ rpm -qa | grep nvidia
Zero return code means you're clean from the proproetary drivers and may proceed.

32bit systems
update the system to the latest R3 state:

# urpmi --auto-update
(in order to guarantee that we have the latest versions of all packages; update from Fresh R1 or R2 to R4 directly is theoretically possible, but we didn't test this scenario thoroughly).
remove all Fresh R3 repositories. If you don't have any repositories except official ROSA Desktop Fresh R3 ones, then you can simply remove all software sources:

# urpmi.removemedia -a
add release repositories of Fresh R4:

# urpmi.addmedia --distrib http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2014.1/repository/i586/
# urpmi.update --ignore updates
Note that we have disabled "updates" repositories for now, since we only tested update to release repositories of Desktop Fresh R4.
update all packages to R4 state; preliminary download all necessary packages (the latter is important, since the network connection can go down during update):

# urpmi --no-install --auto-update --auto
# urpmi --auto-update --auto
Note that depending on Internet connection speed and number of packages installed in the system, the update time may vary significantly. Average update time is about several hours. In some very special cases update can take about a day or even more.
Turn back repositories with R4 updates and update your system to be sure that it is up to date:

# urpmi.update --no-ignore updates
64bit systems
update the system to the latest R3 state:

# urpmi --auto-update
(in order to guarantee that we have the latest versions of all packages; update from Fresh R1 or R2 to R4 directly is theoretically possible, but we didn't test this scenario thoroughly).
remove all Fresh R3 repositories. If you don't have any repositories except official ROSA Desktop Fresh R3 ones, then you can simply remove all software sources:

# urpmi.removemedia -a
add release repositories of Fresh R4:

# urpmi.addmedia --distrib http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2014.1/repository/x86_64/
# urpmi.addmedia main32_release http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2014.1/repository/i586/main/release
# urpmi.addmedia main32_updates http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2014.1/repository/i586/main/updates
# urpmi.update --ignore updates
32bit main/release and main/updates repositories are necessary in 64bit systems in order to make 32bit-only applications such as Skype available. Note that we have disabled "updates" repositories for now, since we only tested update to release repositories of Desktop Fresh R4.
update all packages to R4 state; preliminary download all necessary packages (the latter is important, since the network connection can go down during update):

# urpmi --no-install --auto-update --auto
Note that depending on Internet connection speed and number of packages installed in the system, the update time may vary significantly. Average update time is about several hours. In some very special cases update can take about a day or even more.
Turn back repositories with R4 updates and update your system to be sure that it is up to date:

# urpmi.update --no-ignore updates

rolf
Operating system: ROSA Desktop.Fresh release 2012.1 (Desktop) for x86_64

Re: Migrating from ROSA Desktop Fresh R3 to R4

Сообщение rolf » 10 окт 2014, 04:13

Hi,
I followed this from the blog, which had a link for how to update existing systems.

At the time, for 64-bit R3, the instructions included only, after the urpmi.addmedia --distrib command:

urpmi.addmedia main32_release http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2014.1/repository/i586/main/release
    urpmi.addmedia main32_updates http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2014.1/repository/i586/main/updates 
Now, there are more. Also, the instructions about fglrx/nvidia where not there but I managed to get through, it seems. However, as I pointed out in my comment on the blog, the first urpmi.addmedia --distrib command seems to add all the 32-bit repos to the 64-bit installation by itself.

urpmi.addmedia --distrib http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2014.1/repository/x86_64/ 

adding medium "main" 
adding medium "main updates" 
adding medium "main testing" (ignored by default) 
adding medium "Main32" 
adding medium "Main32 Updates" 
adding medium "main32 testing" (ignored by default) 
adding medium "contrib" 
adding medium "contrib updates" 
adding medium "non-free" 
adding medium "non-free updates" 
adding medium "Non-free32" 
adding medium "Non-free32 Updates" 
adding medium "restricted" 
adding medium "restricted updates" 
adding medium "Restricted32" 
adding medium "Restricted32 Updates" .. 
Thanks.

ДроноваЮ

Сообщение ДроноваЮ » 10 окт 2014, 13:22

Hello rolf,
Thanks a lot for the feedback, I addedd the missed part about he graphical drivers to the wiki article, please excuse any inconvenience caused.

Some additional note to ALL users: the update from your R3 to the R4 should be made as soon as possible since the future updates and bugfixes may cause really big-big trouble making the clean and seamless update almost impossible. The better and most secure way is ALWAYS to download the iso and to perform nice and clean install, keeping your /home unformatted.

rugyada
Контактная информация:

Сообщение rugyada » 23 окт 2014, 02:11

ДроноваЮ писал(а):Some additional note to ALL users: the update from your R3 to the R4 should be made as soon as possible since the future updates and bugfixes may cause really big-big trouble making the clean and seamless update almost impossible.
Hello,
Could you please give a warning when the upgrade will become impossible to perform?
This topic is now around 15 days old, I have on MIB forum one user who tried the upgrade and wasn't lucky with it.
Thank you, and keep up the good work! :beer:

ДроноваЮ

Сообщение ДроноваЮ » 24 окт 2014, 16:22

rugyada писал(а):Could you please give a warning when the upgrade will become impossible to perform?
Well, we have a precedent here, so ab hinc let's consider the iso-installation only.
Thank you for your kind words, Cristina :friends:

Ответить

Вернуться в «ROSA Fresh R4-R7 (2014.1)»