[IMPORTANT] Reporting problems

Ответить
euspectre
Operating system: Linux в разных вариантах

[IMPORTANT] Reporting problems

Сообщение euspectre » 07 дек 2015, 11:45

It is too easy for ROSA developers to overlook some problem reports on these forums.

To make sure your report will be noticed, please report the problems to our Bugzilla:
http://bugs.rosalinux.ru/enter_bug.cgi? ... top%20Bugs

If you do not know which component to choose there, choose "Main Packages".

When the problem is reported to Bugzilla, the discussion may continue here, on the forums, as well, if it is convenient.

One more note.
If the system crashes, becomes unresponsive or you suspect the problem is hardware-related, please upload the data about your system using hw-probe tool (https://linux-hardware.org/?view=howto) and post the URL hw-probe reports to the bug you have opened.

If the system became unusable, it is OK to use hw-probe after rebooting the system (perhaps with a different kernel, if available).

Mayavimmer
Operating system: Rosa Fresh 2012.1 64bit

Re: [IMPORTANT] Reporting problems

Сообщение Mayavimmer » 07 дек 2015, 13:44

I think requiring users to file Bugzilla reports is unrealistic and would create more problems than it fixes, although I have not studied this problem very hard nor do I know the Rosa ecosystem very well, particularly the relative numbers of users and developers.

It seems to me that the open forums and the Bugzilla tracking system address two fundamentally different problems:
1. Forums interface with the vast hordes :wink: of wild users. They are unstructured (from the user's point of view), repetitive, and sport a low signal to noise ratio.
2. The Bugzilla interface is for people who invest more time in learning the system (registration, regular frequentation, knowledge of news and best practices, higher level of technical knowledge, etc). You don't want to flood a nice, efficient, structured system like Bugzilla with thousands of "my video card does not work" reports, when 90% of the time there is a well known or trivial answer("run XFdrake!") which could be provided by other forum users instead.

I think the developers and advanced users, who are already very knowledgeable and well organized, should take on the additional but very light duty of prescreening, though perhaps not fully managing, new forum messages. It could be simply accomplished by having anyone with a Bugzilla account or otherwise authoritative simply read new messages and reply with "Ok, read it" and leave them to forum users if no further work is warranted, or "Hmm, potentially interesting, please file a Bugzilla report" for the high signal to noise stuff.

PS: on the use of hw-probe please see separate post I am writing shortly.

euspectre
Operating system: Linux в разных вариантах

Сообщение euspectre » 07 дек 2015, 14:32

Mayavimmer писал(а):I think requiring users to file Bugzilla reports is unrealistic and would create more problems than it fixes, although I have not studied this problem very hard nor do I know the Rosa ecosystem very well, particularly the relative numbers of users and developers.
This is not a hard requirement, but rather a recommendation. For many users, this should not be a problem. Still, if the user is unable to file a bug, it is better to report the problem on the forums here rather than not report it at all.

I agree with you on the purposes of the forums and the Bugzilla. However, all this works well if there are enough people who triage the bugs, filter the real ones and file the bug reports for us, developers, to work upon. In reality, things are different, unfortunately. The situation is more or less acceptable on the Russian-speaking forums here but on the rest... Well, far from it.

While there is a fair number of users of our distro, there are not very many developers and maintainers. Some officially work on ROSA distro, but some of the key developers are doing things in their spare time.

So, things are where they are. The problems reported on the English-speaking forums are sometimes overlooked and that worries me.
The total amount of problem reports here is not very high now, unlike the Russian-speaking part. That is why I recommend using Bugzilla if possible (may be, in addition to the discussion here).

fkuller
Operating system: Rosa Fresh 2016.1 R9

Сообщение fkuller » 25 янв 2016, 20:05

installation conflict editor Atom with apmd package.

Annaen
Operating system: SuSE 10

IMPORTANT Reporting problems

Сообщение Annaen » 02 июн 2016, 07:55

I was wondering the same thing. He appears to be having a conversation with himself. Perhaps we should just watch and see how it unfolds?

Ответить

Вернуться в «ROSA Fresh R4-R7 (2014.1)»